Saturday, January 23, 2010

The rains have come as well as the mud and now I needed to get some new tires, the old ones were well worn, so I set off to Toyota. I bought my car there and they do have tires, normally. This week they are out, after some discussion it looked like they would be out for a month or two, no other tires the right size in other places in the country, either. So they suggested that I put on a wider tire. I was thinking that would be the solution until I was told that I would have to change the car document, and I didn't want to do that...too much paper work. So I said I would go to Malawi, to a friend of mine who has a tire store (Jeremy). Then the owner said he had some tires at his house, which he had bought when the price was low, he would sell them to me. They were much cheaper than the wider tires, so I got them.

Now the next project: actually putting them on the car. Toyota doesn't fit tires, so I went off a
garage to get them changed. I was offered a ride from a friend to pick me up, but I knew that if I wasn't physically there, the job would take even longer. That was when I thought of Les Schwab. Oh to have had an office here in Lichinga. I had bought all 5 tires that he man had for sale, so that meant 5 tires to take off the car, change the tire and replace the tire. Here is the work space for removal and fitting of the tire.

After one tire was changed I noted that 30 minutes had gone by, and yes it took 2 hours to change the tires. I sat outside on a chair that I found in an office. I missed the TV, popcorn, air conditioner and soft seats of Les Schwab.

Here are the used tires that I will now see if I can sell, as they do not show the inside threads yet.

2 comments:

Alfred en Belinda said...

This made me smile....just imagine - popcorn, soft seat AND TV!!! hiehie!! But glad you got your tires!

jayne said...

I told Nick this story-he had to have the brakes on the PU fixed last week, then I had a flat on the van. Les Schwab is great. Independence especially!