Friday, May 25, 2007

Many new things are happening in my life and I would like to share some of them with you.

Diana Penisoara: Diana came to stay with me last year to see if she would like Christian service here in Mozambique. After a successful year of learning Portuguese and some of the local culture, teaching children’s classes and organizing a youth group, she wanted to return. So she applied to SIM and has returned as a long term missionary here in Mozambique. She is living with me, which is a blessing. She is now working on learning the Yawo language, and has already started a class for children.

Caia: As I said in my last letter, we began about 7 months ago visiting a village. There is no church in the village and most of the people know little about Christ. We have faithfully taught God’s work. As a result one person has publicly professed his faith. Others seem to be close. The wanted to build a church building, which I thought was a bit premature as we have no believers, but the village has selected a spot and say they will begin soon. We have taught many things about the life of Christ and now are entering into the life of the Church in the book of Acts.

Waite: Waite is our day guard/gardener. He has worked for me for about 3 years. In the past there have been marriage problems most of it because of his drinking. Last week while he was drunk he not only beat his wife but also a neighbor woman. I have put some conditions on his continuing to work for me. One is that he reads the Bible very day. Pray that his life will change as he reads God’s Word.

TEE: My students have just finished another book. This one was on Teaching God’s Word with Power. It was so exciting to hear some of the students sharing what they were learning with their friends. Usually we have 7-10 yet never the same group. I am excited that these young people want to learn to walk with the Lord and be better ministers of His Word. We will begin a new book this week: Talking with God.

Malawi: Three weeks ago Diana and I made a trip to Malawi for three reasons: 1. she needed a visa to apply for permission to stay in Mozambique as a resident, 2, I needed to see a dentist and 3. Kay and Coral Martin, with whom I worked with in Malawi 17 years ago, were doing three months in Malawi. What fun we had remembering the times we had spent together. In a week or two we will need to go back to the dentist and pick up Diana’s visa and will get to see them again. The trip to the dentist is a several day event: 8 hour trip one way. I am so glad when the roads improve and the car runs well.

Rebekka Graser: On May 3rd, Diana and I receive this short-termer to Lichinga. She will stay with us for two months, doing some Portuguese language study and working with Diana with the children.

May: Besides a trip to Malawi, I will be teaching three days at YWAM’s Discipleship training school and make a trip to South Africa for a mission meeting.

July: I am having some special visitors as my sister and her husband come for a two week visit: Joyce and Howard Schierling.

Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

Joann and Gary said...

Hi there Janice, we are at the local hotel for a few nights as I needed a medical test and the trailer is not the place to be for the preparation.

I wanted to let you know that I have sent a Christmas package to you a week or so ago and the post office stated that it should arrive by December 9, 2007!!! So if you get it great and if you see someone wearing a beautiful blue pull over sweater soft and warm, plese know that it is a gift to them from you and I!!! Is there another address to use to assure greater potential of you receiving it? Hope all is well with you,

THanks again for the thanksgiving call, it is nice of you to call us. I don´t know how to call as cheap as you seem to be able to do. Love to you, Joann and Gary and Edmund