Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Back Home

I am back in Lichinga after a wonderful home assignment in Oregon with family and friends. I have and am still having problems with my internet server. I tech was over yesterday two times and is frustrated that it isn't working. He has taken all the return internet messages with him and is sending them to his superiors to see what is my problem. But right now I can access my email on line, so that is at least something. about my trip:

I was taken to the airport by my niece Nikki, she is the one that came with Jayne to Africa. Then I flew to DC and with no problems got on the next plane to Africa. Arrived with all my luggage, was met by a friend, I was expecting a different person, so was nice to see her, and went to her house for some juice and a good chat. She then took me to 'my boss's' house. Paul and Sally are so great to be with. I enjoyed a good time with them and slept there. In the morning went with Paul to a SIM prayer meeting and then on to the airport to get to Maputo. They excepted my two pieces of luggage and off I went. In Maputo, I sailed through the immigration ( no problem as I have a permanent visa, which lasts for 5 years) picked up my bags, smiled at the customs people and then they wanted to see my luggage, they looked briefly at both suit cases and let me go out the door and there was Matthias to pick me up. We went to the airlines office and get a copy of my on going ticket and I paid for an extra suitcase. When I got to Maputo, I could only have 60 kgs, which is 15 kgs less then what my two cases weighed. Matthias took me to the guesthouse where I would stay. Then we went out for supper. Friday was full as I went with Matthias to the seminary where he teaches to have a meeting with the Superintendant from the church we used to work with. That meeting was very short, good. I then sat around and waited for Matthias to finish, was wishing for a bed, but a hard bench was all that was available. We went out and had lunch by the sea and I got a nap. I decided not to get washing machine. It looked like it would be too difficult to manage. So I am looking into getting one here. Saturday I flew here to Lichinga and was met my my two former roomates and their families: Lori and Victor with Victoria and Clara and Diana and Josue. Diana had prepared a lunch for us. She is doing well in her pregnancy, they have moved out of my house to the guest house, hoping that their house will be finish in about 3 weeks. The days have been going by fast. Always things to do. I have unpacked my luggage, all the boxes that I sent have arrived and very little broken and all there. I was really encourage at church on Sunday as my 'son' who is the pastor gave a really challenging sermon on repentance and a change of life after that. My mulberry bushes are producing really well, so I made some jam and syrup. I might be able to do more tomorrow. This week we have two holidays: day of the city and independence day. So work is slow around town, add to that ramadon stores are closed early. Last night I slept all night, so I hope that the jet lag is over.

No comments: